Wednesday, October 14, 2009

How Important Is History?

I'm an unabashed history geek, but I fear my generation doesn't really appreciate the story of mankind. Our history is dumbed down and trivialized, and while there are flashes of brilliance to be found in print, online, and television, it pales in comparison to the masses of crap that are churned out by our culture. We even have multiple reality shows airing on the History Channel, which seems rather odd to me.

So, I thought I'd put up a poll to find out if I'm alone in being bothered by our serene and ignorant wanderings through the world, oblivious to what came before us and refusing to contemplate the world we will leave behind. Thanks for casting your vote, and feel free to leave a comment as well.

Is a sense of history important when it comes to examining current events?
Yes, those who don't know their history are doomed to repeat it.
Somewhat important. History doesn't repeat itself, but it rhymes.
Not very important. What's more important is an understanding of how the world works today.
Not important at all. Live in the now, man.
  
pollcode.com free polls

No comments:

Post a Comment